INTERIM CO-DIRECTOR, MARKETING + COMMUNICATIONS
(formerly DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER)
American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
Currently co-managing a 10-person marketing and communications team. ASM’s communications team is responsible for web content, video, podcasts, blogs, public outreach, media and PR, events, social media campaigns, graphic design, membership publications, digital analytics and bulk email.
Enterprise web redesign project: Launched new IA on interim site until new CMS is developed.
- Establishing organization-wide web strategy.
- Responsible for IA deliverables, UX and CMS selection.
- Introduced metrics monitoring to content and marketing efforts by deploying Google Analytics.
- Implementing workflow and identifying skills gaps to ensure content creation for new site strategy.
- Hand-built a team of volunteer science bloggers for ASM’s new blog network, which resulted in 8 new blog streams and 30k increase in new site visits per month.
Content strategy: Resulting in increased conversions and more effective digital content.
- Asses and plan for content themes for digital content delivery. Includes executing plan for digital content calendar, themes, workflow and creation.
- Crafting style guide and governance handbook for organization to help guide tone, voice and correctness on ASM’s digital content.
- Weaving social media, video, podcasts, books and academic journals into publishing paradigm for the organization.
- Educating and acclimating current staff for content marketing and best practices in
- producing digital content (through trainings, presentations and work groups).
Director duties: Currently pinch-hitting as director while director search continues (since April 2016).
- Instrumental in planning and maintaining $1 million departmental budget, particularly budgets for the web project, videos, podcasts and graphics.
- Management of 5 direct reports.
- Participate in senior management meetings and branding and content decision-making for ASM.
DIRECTOR OF PUBLISHING
National Alliance on Mental Illness, Arlington, Va.
April 2009-March 2015
Oversaw web content and strategy:
- Through redesign of website and adopting a user-centric approach, NAMI acquired 10% more unique visitors each year for the past 5 years
- In 2014, site-wide donations were up 7%.
- Year-end online campaign fundraising rose 40% each year for 2013 and 2014.
- Returning visitors increased by 30% from 2009-2014.
Managed print publications and print buying.
Oversaw branding and editorial style.
Instrumental role in marketing, creative and social media:
- Facebook community grew from 30K to 180K fans in 3 years, Twitter from 2K to 50K followers and Instagram went from 200 followers to 2K followers in 6 months.
- Conceptualized award-winning video campaign around stigma and mental health.
Oversaw website redesign for a 12-year old site. This included:
- UX (Persona-building, user testing and conversion ID) and IA (user paths, design, strategy-building and taxonomy creation).
- Vendor management, RFP and project and budget management.
- Deployed Google Analytics and crafting metrics strategy.
- Trained staff in writing, created web workflow and crafted first-time web governance.
- Donations went up 44% during launch week.
American Bankruptcy Institute, Alexandria, Va.
June 2004-April 2009
- Created online bookstore and forged partnerships to enhance digital publications.
- Designed book covers, professional journal and web section during rebranding effort.
- Increased book sales by 200% in 5 years.
- Deployed digital version of ABI Journal as well as Amazon and Google Books efforts.
PUBLISHER AND FOUNDER
Innerloop Magazine, Washington, D.C.
August 2001-August 2004
- Managed a monthly culture magazine with a circulation of 8,000 and staff of 20.
- Named “up-and- coming design” by Creative Review Magazine (U.K.) in 2003.
- Spoke at Columbia University for a graduate class on publishing start-up.
M.A. Publishing, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Digital publishing/strategy concentration
B.A. English, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
Nonfiction writing/editing concentration
- Staff writer and style editor at the university’s newspaper and interned at MTV and The Potomac News.
- Graphic Design USA In-house Design Award for logo and book cover designs, art director.
- PR Newswire “PR on a shoestring” award for digital video campaign, “You Are Not Alone,” creative director.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS + CERTIFICATIONS
- Content Strategy DC, Association Media & Publishing, NTEN, UX Book Club, UXPADC, DC Web Women, DC Pubs.
- GA-certified partner trained in Google Analytics (2013).
- Adobe-certified trained in Creative Suite (2008).
SOFTWARE + SYSTEMS
- Metrics: Google Analytics, SumAll, Crazy Egg, Facebook Insights, Kentico analytics.
- Design: Adobe CS, Balsamiq, Axure, QuarkXpress.
- Project management: Sharepoint, SmartSheet, BaseCamp.
- CMS: Kentico, Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, Active Matter.
- AMS: Avectra/Abila, Salesforce, IMIS.
- Mail clients: Lyris, Informz, BlueHornet, MailChimp.